All development work is performed in accordance with ANSI Z136 (series), IEC/EN60825 (series), IEC/EN60601 (selected), IEC/EN62471, and US federal law- 21CFR1040.10/.11. This will ensure product development is safe and compliant to both consensus standards and applicable regulations throughout the entire life cycle.
The Proof-Of-Concept or Alpha phase is first in the product development process and involves building the first prototype to test a theory. This confirms the viability of an idea or validates the technology chosen for a product application. The key concerns usually involve:
• Distill the product concept to an experiment (we can literally start from a “napkin sketch”)
• Retaining the existing or anticipated intellectual property
• Ensuring that the product being developed will meet the revenue goals
TEST & EVALUATION (“BETA”)
This phase of product development begins with an existing proof-of-concept (Alpha) prototype that demonstrates consistent and reliable performance:
• If TPG had produced the Alpha prototype, the specifications and design directions are readily available from data generated during the Alpha phase
• The application of our project management system provides a consistent project flow in successive phases of development
• We revise the performance and physical specifications throughout the development process so that at project completion, the formal specifications reflect the final, as-delivered prototype.
The pre-production or gamma phase is the final step in the product development process. At this point, a hardened prototype unit exists that successfully meets all test and evaluation criteria delineated in the performance and physical specifications. The focus at this level of development is to ready the prototype for production:
• Confirm the units’ manufacturability
• Determine which parts can and should be purchased Commercially-Off-The-Shelf (also known as COTS ) and which parts must be Made-To-Order (MTO)
• Actively involve users, customers, and marketing representatives to significantly reduce pre-production development costs
To produce a Photonics-based product, all aspects of its construction affect its performance. Ultimately, the quality of its manufacturing is key. Our pilot production services help reduce the risk involved with Photonics-based product manufacturing. We offer our experience in all aspects of Photonics-based research, application/integration engineering, and compliance to support our manufacturing partners. Contact us with your specific requirements, or if we are involved with a product development effort at any level (Alpha, Beta, or Gamma), ask us to provide a quotation to produce a limited quantity.